Saturday, April 11, 2009

The St Joe Badge

It has been some 30+ years since most of us wore the St Joe badge on our attire ... although I noticed that at the 2006 reunion in Kuching, many of the attendees had the badge on for the occasion. Maybe arranged for by the organisers?
xxxxxxxxxx

Today, there's obviously no prefect to catch or fine us for not wearing the badge with our uniform, but in all those years that we had to, did we ever take a good look at it?

The question for this post is therefore: do you know what each of the symbols, and the motto, on the badge actually mean?

xxxxxxxxxx

7 comments:

  1. ORA ET LABORA = PRAYER AND LABOUR

    SYMBOLS? APART FROM SJS, NO IDEA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, and if we're this analytic about it, why is it green and white?? why is it shaped like a shield?? notice there's also a white cross in centre .

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lamp on the bottom left is known as "The Lamp of Learning".

    I dunno about you but sometimes I felt that the light of my lamp was off for me when I just couldn't manage to remember the stuff they expected of us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i know the star has something to do with the La Salle brothers order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The prefects were such a nuisance that i had at least 3 badges - one in my bag, one in my pencil box and the other one for my shirts. Just in case I forget in the morning rush.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I managed to find this from a La Salle Brothers article:

    The radiant star was adopted from the coat of arms of the Institute of the Brothers of Christian Schools. A star has always been the symbol of the high ideal that we should set ourselves to attain. The star also alludes to the guiding star that led the wise men of the East to divine wisdom and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Top left is the "Lily of the valley", a symbol associated with Mother Mary. It reflects purity.

    ReplyDelete