Monday, April 13, 2009

RANDOM PHOTO ALBUM - PART #8

Here's the next batch of random photos from Kuching ...

The first shot is of Sky Bookstore in the Padungan area. I haven't been inside the shop for many years, but when I was a schoolboy, the four places in Kuching I went for books were Kwong Hua Bookstore, Rex Bookstore, KK Abdul Majid and Sky Bookstore.


Next we have a view of St Mary's School. I'm sure some members of the Form 5 Class of 1976 had special relationships with the alumni of the aforementioned establishment ... old flames or even current spouses.




Remember Coffin Lane ? A.K.A. Kai Joo Lane. If I remember correctly, there was some well-known and delicious confectionery tidbits to be found in there ...



xxxxxxxxxx
And finally here's a common scene in a Gambier Road shop ... pity we can't project the smells in addition to the visual details.
xxxxxxxxxx
Hope you enjoyed them.

[Pictures courtesy of Leo Sia]

8 comments:

  1. i knew someone who used to hang around the gates of St Mary's for ages !

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was one pretty girl by the name of Peggy
    from St. Mary's. Anyone know or remember her?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The famous curry puffs of Kai Joo Lane !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see the ikan pusu (also known as ikan bilis) in the gunny sacks in the Gambier Rd shop. I swear Sarawak ikan pusu tastes so different (better!) comparing to similar fish from elsewhere. Especially when fried and eaten with kacang and washed down with cold beer ... mmmmmmm !

    ReplyDelete
  5. GL's other half is ex-Marian right?
    Is he the one who 'used to hang around the gates' as mentioned by Anonymous April 14, 2009 12:35 AM?
    Nay, personally I don't think so lah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could well be. as far as i know, he hung around the gates of every girl school within walking distance :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's nonsense! I didn't hang around the gates ... I went right in. LOL

    In reply to the other post, no, it was not me. I only met my wife after coming back from studies abroad. I hardly knew any Marian back then.

    Anyway, stop picking on me. Go pick on the 'romeos' of '76. I am sure you all know who they are. I could name them but I would have to post as Anonymous just to be safe from retribution. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Georgie boy, pls do share the on the identities of the romeos of '76. You need not worry about retributions. After you are THE LAWYER.

    ReplyDelete