Sunday, April 19, 2009

Panjang from Perth writes ...

Over the weekend, I received an email from former classmate Kevin Chin (Form 5Sc, 1976), now in Perth. Had lost touch with him some time back, when his email address changed, so I was very happy to be back in touch with old "Panjang", as we used to call him. His current email is takkuasa@iinet.net.au for any of you who want to get in touch.

Instead of repeating all he said, I'll just include excerpts from his email below, and let him extend a "G'day" to all of you himself. Kevin also attached a great old photo from 1978. Can you remember who's who?


Hello James

Greetings from sunny Perth! It’s been many years since we last exchanged emails.

I happened to catch up with Bob Chew for dinner the other night during one of his lightning visits to Perth. He mentioned a website that you’ve set up for former classmates. That tweaked my curiosity sufficiently to do a Google search which led me to the blog that you’ve created. I’ve got to confess that I’ve spent many hours reading everything on the blog and having a great time looking at pictures of old friends (so many prosperous towkays, professionals and top executives!) and laughing out loud at the comments made by everyone. It caused me to trawl through my old photos but unfortunately I have absolutely nothing dating back to Form 5. However, I managed to unearth this pic that was taken in 1978 (when some of us were in Upper 6 at St Joe) which may bring back memories. It’ll be fun to try and identify everyone in the photo.

... I’m [an] investigator ... with the Australian Securities & Investments Commission. I’ve lived in Perth longer than I’ve lived anywhere else, including Kuching. I’m looking forward to retiring in a few years’ time in this big “retirement village” that many perceive Perth to be.


I heartily concur with those who’ve commented that you’re doing a great job with the blog and I hope many more people will reconnect to make it a lively online community. Please say "G'day" to everyone for me.

Sincerely

Kevin




To have a clearer view of the above picture, you may wish to download it to your PC and view it directly.
xxxxxx

20 comments:

  1. Hi Kevin .

    Certainly still remember you -being the tallest among us . I recall you were rather active in sports during school years .But can't put my mind in what discipline . Was it is high jumping or discus throwing ? Glad to be discover another "lost one" and hope to see you one day . I am always in touch with Bob . Take care .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Si Tiaw Mo looks like he's wearing a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Panjang,
    It great to hear from you. Been to Perth twice in the last 7 sevens but regreted not to have your contact before going. Tried looking for your contact in the yellow pages and there were quite a few of you so I backed out. Last time we met was at your home in Singapore back in 1984 on my way back to Kuching. I still recall your bed was not long enough and it was extended to another bed. Wow, no wonder you got to move to Perth to "feel" normal among the Oz. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who's the pretty rose among the thorns?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings to everyone.

    Nick, it was good to see you so fit and well though the top, like all of us, is starting to go a distinguished shade of grey. I was never the star that you were in athletics as all I could do was to throw the discus. Would love to meet up with you sometime.

    KCK, my good friend, I have very many fond memories of the times we spent together, not least the gambling sessions at your house during CNY! I hope you and your family are well - I remember your parents (your Hakka speaking Dad) and your two sisters. It’s amazing that you can remember my home in Singapore – yes, we had to join beds together – in Oz we have King Singles but it is my 17 y/o son who needs one of them.

    As to who the pretty rose is, I’ll let someone else identify her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi..Kevin
    Welcome "on board", good that we captured another "old" boy on this great blogs. Glad to hear from you. Best wishes from the "poms" in UK.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anyone in contact with
    * Tham Peng Yeow
    * Wilson Chao
    * Michael Yeo ?

    If so, encourage them to join in the conversation on this website. A lot of people are keen to reconnect with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Kevin, So glad that we've "found" you or rather, you discovered us. Nice photo mate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How many kids now, Kevin?

    ReplyDelete
  10. JL, glad I found this website. Saw your photo in one of the earlier posts and must say you look good after all these years (but then you always did!). Say "hi" to the other "Pommies" for me.

    PC, I thought you went missing for a while too in the UK. A little bit like Michael Yeo in Canada. Life must agree with you as you certainly look prosperous.

    Kids? Enough to keep me busy and poor for the rest of my life. Three, at last count (19, 17 and 12).

    ReplyDelete
  11. KC, do send a more current photo of u to website jaga, so we can all see how u look like these days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Watch out for the next "Then & Now" posting coming soon, boys & girls :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Panjang, where are you? Why so quiet these days?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Old Panjang is currently enjoying a period of self-imposed exile for unwittingly setting off a debate on certain men’s appendages. Batangs are not the most scintillating topic of discussion on this venerable blog. His missus has ordered him to be more circumspect when making comments on the blog. I have discovered that anonymity has its advantages – hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Anon 11:47PM whoever you are,

    Please relate to Old Batang that no hard feelings. It was amusing while it lasted. Tell him to come back. We need his participation. Especially with a virtual cocktail party coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey careful, Website J, "Old Batang"??? It's "Old Panjang" - and the two are not interchangeable!! Hehehe! Anyway, I've never MSN'd and will need lessons from my son.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oops, sorry Old Panjang. Maybe that was what's known as a Freudian slip? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. KC, did you ever meet Richard Lee in Perth? He is apparently also based there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah, Richard appeared at my doorstep out of the blue one day shortly after I migrated to Perth. I understand he went to Harvey and later to Australind which are to the south of Perth. Australind is a beautiful place near Bunbury. I've lost touch with him and, Richard, if you are reading this, you might to tell us where you are.

    ReplyDelete