Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Way We Were ... (#2 by John Lee)

Recently we had some email inputs from our friend John Lee (Form 5 Arts 1) on his forays into the world of bodybuilding in the 80's. I think this is a perfect item as part of our "The Way We Were" series. Impressive stuff. I'll let John tell you about it in his own words ...
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
"Back in the mid 80s when I was still in Kuching, I had to give up playing rugby due to injuries and I joined a local gym, called Silver Gym, ran by Sim Yaw Seng, our senior at SJS. Yaw Seng was into bodybuilding and had won a few prizes in the local bodybuilding contests. Somehow my interest in bodybuilding blossom and with a group of new members, we put a lot of hours into bodybuilding.

Just before I had to leave Kuching in late October 1989, I decided (with a few encouragement from the gym members) to enter a bodybuilding contest and the only one in the calendar was in Sibu. So I entered my name in the competition and the rest was history, I was crowned Mr Novice, Sibu 1989.



(Website Jaga's note: You may need to download & zoom to read the text above)


My theme music for the 3 minute individual performance was: Chariots of Fire.

Enclosed are some photos taken during the competition and some taken at Santubong, a couple of weeks before the competition."












Way to go, John "Mr Novice Sibu 1989" Lee !!!!
xxxxxx
Message to the Ladies
1) If you must scream, please make sure the hubby is not around.
2) Actually most of us in the classes of Form 5 (1976) looked kinda like that under our attire, but we were just too modest to show it :-)

8 comments:

  1. Waaaaaaahhhh !!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good job John ! congrats !

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOW "PLAYGIRL" MAGAZENE WILL MAYBE LINK TO THIS WEBSITE . HEE HEE HEE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go John! Too bad, in picture no.5. the crucial part of your body is hidden.hahaha...
    Good thing i have a fertile imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice bod John. Almost as good as mine ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Website Jaga, i think we need the accompanyment of the theme music "Chariots of Fire" lah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! It's OK, hubby not around

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just to make the record straight - it was Mr. Sylvester Goh Thian Yong (who is the current Secretary of the Sarawak Body Building Association, 2012) who owned Silver Gym in Kuching and not Sim Yaw Seng - my apology for this error. He was an ex Josephian.

    ReplyDelete