Thursday, December 24, 2009

Pre Grand Reunion: Message from Bro. Columba

A few days before the Grand Reunion, we received this from our former principal in Ireland. GL had been in touch with him regarding the Reunion, and this was the latest of Bro Columba's message ...


From: columba gleeson
To: George Lo
Sent: Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:48 PM
Subject: Re: st joe '76

Dear George,

Nearly there! Just 3 days to go! I've been following your blogs with interest and much amusement. Only now realising how many interesting things were happening in those days of which I was blissfully unaware!! Just as well! I enjoyed the latest very clear pics of primary school classes.. Can't recognise many of the little 'innocents' but nice to see some of the faithful old teachers as they looked then...Chai Chin Tu, John Phang etc.

I hope you have a wonderful few days together and will be with you in spirit, not this time to check on behaviour but to celebrate all that has been achieved down the years and to anticipate all that is yet to come. There are values in life which are important to cling to, but it is also important to grow and to change. I forget who it was that wrote, "To live is to change and to live fully is to change often". Fundamentalists of course cannot understand that but I hope we have all done so in our own way, including former headmasters!! There was a song somewhere, sometime titled "The best is yet to be"! Might be a nice theme for the 'Big Night' as you look to the next 50!

Have a great reunion. I think a big word of praise and thanks is due to all those who have worked so hard behind the scenes to make it all possible. They deserve your full support. Very best wishes to all and to your families for continued good health and happiness in the years ahead and thank you again for your kind and generous invitation to be with you. A special word of thanks to Dato Anthony for obtaining special travel concessions. Though I can't be there physically I will certainly be with you in spirit. Though I'm one year short of 76, I shall feel many years younger as I think of you on Wednesday.

With fond memories and best wishes,
Bro. Columba.

5 comments:

  1. That's so nice of Bro Columba ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bro Columba for all the good and kind words.You have taught us well and we will always remember you.
    Promise us that you will make a trip with us sometime in the future ( maybe 5yrs time),
    That will inspire those organizing the event more grand and even lift the spirit of ST JOSEPH"S SChool higher.
    Thank you again Bro C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great words, Bro C. We salute and thank you for helping to mould us into what we are today. I have many fond memories of you, Bro Mark (who returned all the wayward discuses that I threw and was instrumental in some of my sporting achievements which I never thought I was capable of) and Bro Adrian (the best English teacher by far) and you have all helped make my years in St Joe some of the best in my life, to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excerpts from an article by a former Josephian..Sim Kwang Yang...one-time Head Prefect and former Member of Parliament...in Malaysiakini..

    "My brush with Christianity marked me for life: I was taught by the La Salle Brothers throughout my secondary education, a life-changing experience that only fellow former La Sallian students can appreciate."

    That sums up in one sentence..."the hands that serve are better than the lips that merely preach."

    The La Sallian Brothers gave us more than just academic lessons...they taught us the real meaning of education - academically, socially & spiritually.

    A Proud Josephian - "Ora Et Labora"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Bro Columba's suggested theme "The Best is Yet to Be". Certainly something to keep in mind for our next half century.

    ReplyDelete