Saturday, February 28, 2009

RANDOM PHOTO ALBUM - PART #5

Here's a couple more amateur shots of Kuching that I have left over from previous trips. I'm running out of good pictures, so welcome any contributions from all you photographers out there. Just mail them to jslyong@hotmail.com and I'll put them up for all to enjoy. I will, of course, fully acknowledge all contributors.

Pic #1: Serene view of Sarawak River. Shot taken from Hilton Kuching



Pic #2: Not a good picture from a professional photographer's perspective - bad composition & over-exposed. But then again I never claimed to be a professional photographer. Anyway how could I pass up a chance to show this little retail outlet on India Street which had such an impact of my highly-advanced literary education (ie. my source of Marvel comics lah!)? I know at least a few other people had the same experiences.



Pic #3: This was (and I believe still is) a popular seafood place at Buntal. I remember the steamed fish, fried oysters and belacan midin ... slurp!


Well, that's it for today. As I said before, do share your Kuching photo memories. Ah yes, I also must mention - I'd like to set up another series of posts called "RANDOM VIDEO ALBUM" for all the videoclips you'd like to share too. Getting advanced, aren't we? ;-)

9 comments:

  1. Waaaaah, I remember KK Abdul Majid & Sons was somewhre i look forward to going to at least once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that my younger bro James [who btw is now a partner in my law firm] used to follow my dad down to his shoe shop in India St and then go to Majid to read his comics. Until one day, the towkay told him "hey little boy. this is not a library!" and chased him out. He was about 8 years old then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. at least in those days they didn't seal all the comics and magazines in plastic like these days!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i don't remember the Sarawak River being THAT brown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Serious damage is being done to the rivers and the environment by heavy industries and logging upriver. That's why the river is so brown and will get much worse because nothing is being done. Environment takes a backseat to the mighty dollar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I last saw one of the young Indian chaps from KK Abdul Majid (at least he was young back then) running a small stationery shop-cum-money changer at the Arcade (at Raffles Place) in Singapore. We spoke a bit and I think he kinda recognised me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The KK Abdul Majid was THE SHOP for comic lovers like me back then! What sweet memories when a comic cost less than a dollar!

    Can anyone tell me whether the Corneo Shops still exist(opposite Open Air Mart)? And what's the name of the Chinese-owned shop selling sports gears, running shoes etc at the opposite of Central Police Station? xD

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the corner shops are still there. I have passed many times but never really noticed cos seldom have to go there now, unlike the mid-70's when that was a favourite shopping place of mine.

    The sports shop is called Fui Lip. There's a branch at Wisma Phoenix, Jln Song Thian Cheok.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I THINK BUNTAL SEAFOOD IS NOT AS GOOD AS BEFORE. CAN GET EQUALLY GOOD STUFF OR BETTER IN KUCHING ITESLF .

    ReplyDelete