Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Hobbies, Sports & Interesting Pasttimes

How do you guys spend your spare time? I hope you do have a bit more spare time these days, after about 3 decades of slogging away. Any interesting hobbies or interests outside of your profession or business? Maybe sports or games to keep fit?

I've taken a keen interest in geneology these days. Tracing one's family history can be a fascinating exercise. As someone once said "You need to know where you came from, in order to better understand where you're going". Through speaking to various people in the family (or others who knew past family members) and researching public records, I've built up quite a database of information (these days, PC software help a lot in tracking all the various branches of the family tree) about great grand parents as well as cousins many times removed. Linking some family history to Sarawak historical events is also quite exciting. Now tracing some links back to China.

Anyway, do share what has been keeping you busy these days ...

11 comments:

  1. Mine is a boring one started when I was in sec school - coin collecting ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is tough. No time for hobbies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I read novels - get away from the real world for a bit.

    Anyone ever tried online poker? Facebook has it. You don't play for real money but you play against real people all over the world. I find it quite relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never tried online poker. Always thought the system was designed to cheat you.Used to play some online mahjong with a couple of Taiwanese surfers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe they do cheat you but since it ain't real money, who cares? I join the weekly tourney and usually get my butt handed to me by the 2nd day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Golf, golf and more golf

    ReplyDelete
  7. I collect wines. Or at least I try to. Somehow I keep consuming the inventory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well .... the rest of us would like to help you check on your inventory ... just to make sure they are still good ... it's called 'wine tasting' i believe ... a tough job but we'd be glad to help ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Anonymous wine collector - I too volunteer my wine QA services :-)

    ReplyDelete