Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Way We Were ... (#1 by George Lo)

Remember "The Way We Were"? It was a movie and theme song (by Barbara Streisand if I'm not mistaken) popular in the mid-1970s. Anyway, I thought it appropriate as the title of a new series of postings which our fellow Fifth Formers of 1976 WILL be contributing in the weeks or months ahead (right guys?) to share their special memories of the way it was in 1976 and to update us briefly on what has happened in their lives since then. Very special thanks to George Lo of Form 5Sc for this first item in the series ...


"What a year 1976 was. Such sweet memories of halcyon days as a student with hardly a care in the world [except for the Form 5 results of course].

In 1977, I left for Taylor's College in KL with Pok Vun and Min Boon. We rented rooms in a little single storey terraced house in Jalan Chenderai Dua in Lucky Garden, Bangsar, a stone’s throw from the shophouses where we had our daily lunches of ‘chap fun’. Taylor’s was on the other side of Pantai Hill and we used to hitchhike to college.

For many of us, 1977 was a year when we learnt the meaning of independence, living away from home for the first time. It was an exhilarating time.

In 1978, Pok Vun, the late Andrew Kang and I left for Melbourne. Pok Vun (now Bob Chew) and I squatted with Andrew and his sister Jane at her flat in Ormond, a suburb of Melbourne, for a short time before we rented a flat ourselves. Bob and I were flatmates for some 6 months before we went our separate ways.

I studied at Monash University for 5 years, doing a combined Economics/Law degree. Then I spent a 6th year at Leo Cussen’s Institute (articled clerkship). I was admitted to the bar of the Victorian Supreme Court in 1983 but returned home in December that year. I have been practising law in Kuching since then. I am married to Regina Ng (former Marian) and am blessed with 2 children, Nigel aged 16 and Sharlene aged 8. "


Wonderful job, George. All the piece needs now are some accompanying photographs - which I'm sure you'll be providing soon, right? :-)

5 comments:

  1. Anyone know where our Bahasa Malaysia guru Min Boon? And what's he doing these days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi George - so you became the Perry Mason that you like reading about in school .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thousands apologies for being rather personal and
    sentimental.
    Tuan Website Jaga, please kindly exercise your
    power of censorship if the following comment is
    deemed to be inappropriate and deviates from the
    purpose of this website.
    Here it goes...
    There was one particular shop in India Street that evokes fond memories of me following
    George to wait for his father to close shop. After that his father would bring us and his staff to Batu Lintang food court for a sumptuous
    dinner. Thank you, Uncle.
    Perhaps things would have turned out differently
    for me had I followed George to Australia. Instead I returned to St.Joe to get intoxicated
    by Ms.Diana Ho's smile.
    As for you James, besides remembering you as
    one of the intelligent and inseparable three
    musketeers comprising you, James Kuo and Richard
    Lee who liked to roam around town in your most
    enviable sports bikes, I can still vividly recall my occasional visits to your house nestled
    near the junction leading to Central Road. What struck me most was the warm reception given by
    your vibrant and very friendly mom and your
    soft-spoken and gentle dad. And your little sister...where is she now?
    In fact your parents used to drop by at my friend's former shop next to Lau Ya Keng. He also
    speaks highly of them.
    You are truly blessed with such a wonderful and
    loving family, James.
    Another person that I must mention is
    Ho Boon Chiang who from school days till now hasn't changed a bit in character. Always simple,
    laid-back and unassuming. To me, he is indeed, a
    friend in need. And to him, I am forever indebted.
    Anyway, I am happy to know that all of you are now sitting pretty and doing well in life.
    I wish you the best of health and the most fulfilling and happy life.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I am not mistaken, the last post came from my dear friend NMB. If that is you, old friend, please send me an email at george@glplex.com because I would very much like to get in touch with you again. Memories and reminiscences are great but nothing beats sitting down for a cup of coffee with an old friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks friend. Always look forward to meeting up if opportunity avails.

    ReplyDelete