Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Calculating Tools We've Used

Do you remember those calculating tools we used when we were at St Joe ?

Today LC reminded me of the slide rule. Apparently he has kept his all these years. Keep it safely another decade, my friend, and it may well become a valuable antique.
xx

To be honest, I never really got the hang of slide rules. However I managed to get by as I was pretty nifty with the book of logarithm tables.
xxx


Of course, electronic calculators began to appear on the scene in the 70s, but we weren't allowed to use them for our exams then. Silly rule. I recall I had a Casio scientific calculator for many years, but used it mainly for doing assignments at home.
xx
A certain classmate of ours possessed a more advanced HP calculator, which employed a special "Reverse Polish" method of data entry. At that time it was totally alien to me (I did get the hang of it much later, but just because I read Computer Science at university ... yup, I'm a slow learner!). Anyway that classmate later went on to get a first class honours degree in Mathematics, naturally.


In the late 70s and early 80s, even more powerful computing power was available, in the form of personal computers like the Apple II (and its various clones) , Tandy TRS-80 and Commodore Pet. Some of us may have used these for our A-levels and throughout tertiary education.
xx
An interesting footnote to this topic: when my daughter was in early primary school in the 90s in Singapore, she was taught to manipulate the abacus. It was meant to help fine-tune mental arithmetic in the young children. Who knows ... maybe newer generations will be asked to pick up the slide rule again.


11 comments:

  1. i've still got my slide rule too. tried to teach my son, but he didn't see the point of learning. i don't blame him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If i remember correctly the Log Tables cover carry a picture of one of the colleges of either Cambridge or Oxford.I think i might had used it to visualise going there, but not so smart to enter!! Haha!!

    Hey friends in England, please take a picture of that college and e-mail to me at chenleekien@prupartner.com.my or send it to WJ...please please.At least i get reminded of my childhood dream!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Used the scientific calculator for A Level Maths.

    The Commodore Pet sounds familiar.May had used it to do programming decades ago.

    The HP calculator is probably one of the 1st generation of financial calculators.Today Financial Planners used model HP10bII.

    WJ,

    That friend of yours went to read Maths at Imperial College,University of London?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe the abacus is now being used at Cambridge U for mathematicS degree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BC should be able to take those Cambridge photos, since he live there now

    ReplyDelete
  6. today, all that calculating power is available on even a digital wrist watch. who need slide rule and log table?

    ReplyDelete
  7. i believe WJ is referring to LKB, who seems to be incommunicado nowadays. anyone know where he is? get him on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think the picture on the old Log Table books was of Trinity College, Cambridge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i can't even remember what Log is, not to say understand the tables

    ReplyDelete
  10. can someone show me the cover of the log table?

    ReplyDelete
  11. BC,

    Its the iconic Chapel at King's College, University of Cambridge. The log table in question is the 1st Edition Cambridge Elementary Maths Table by Miller & Powell.

    ReplyDelete