Monday, September 27, 2010

A Taste of the Singapore Grand Prix F1 (kinda)

.
I've mentioned before that I'm not really a big Formula-1 fan. I only know the names of a handful of F1 drivers, and I still get confused by who they drive for. I can't distinguish between piston, the gearbox and other technical paraphernalia associated with F1 cars, though I'm slowly learning. However for the past three years, the Night Races held in Singapore have fired up my interest in the sport a little, at least during the September period.

In the first year, I watched it all on TV from the comfort of my living room. In the second year, I watched on TV too but also drove near to the racing area where I could see the bright lights and hear the powerful roar of the engines. This year, I borrowed a pass from my daughter and went into the area for over an hour in the afternoon to watch part of the Porsche Carrera Cup Asia Race. Then I went home and watched the F1 finals on TV. Who knows - maybe next year  I might actually go in and watch a Night Race :)

Here's a shot of the official F1 programme book and my pass.
. .



Once I cleared the security checkpoint  and entered the enclosed F1 area, there were clear signs showing where everything was. There were also many helpful guides to point out the directions. My pass entitled me to a seat at the Bay Grandstand.



Well, if one can't watch the F1 races, one can always take a photo in front of the big poster depicting the programme schedule :)



It was still early when we got to the seats, and it was very warm too. Should have brought my shades :)






And here's the view from where I sat ...




It's kinda hard taking photos of speeding cars, especially when all one uses is a point-and-shoot digital camera (Canon Powershot SX210 IS). Anyway I tried, and here's a little montage of what I managed to capture ...



I believe the winner of this particular race was SC Global Racing's Craig Baird.

Finally, here's the front page of the local newspaper this morning.  I think you can make out the headline on the F1 results  ...



It was an interesting weekend. Of course, I must add what everyone already knows ... that the Singapore Night Races are always held on or around 26 September to commemorate the birthdays of me and Ah Loot ... LOL
.

15 comments:

  1. Nice photos WJ ... But where are the Grid Gals ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a Day Race WJ ... Doesn't count. You need to go back next year for the real Night Race

    ReplyDelete
  3. Repeat after me WJ ...
    A is for Alonso,
    B is for Button ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. C is for circuit, all 61 laps around ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I prefer B for Barichello instead of Button ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here are the results of the Singapore Grand Prix Formula-1 races 2010

    1. Fernando Alonso 1:57:53.579
    2. Sebastian Vettel +0.3 sec
    3. Mark Webber +29.1 sec
    4. Jenson Button +30.4 sec
    5. Nico Rosberg +49.4 sec
    6. Rubens Barrichello +56.1 sec
    7. Robert Kubica +86.5 sec
    8. Felipe Massa +113.3 sec

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy that Hamilton was knocked out of the race this time !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belated happy birthday, WJ and Ah Loot !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happier if both McLarens knocked out and buttoned up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Genuine F1,
    was hoping for button to be buttoned and barichello to be baried.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwwwwwwwww ... It's all over. Till next year

    ReplyDelete
  12. WJ, who knows, maybe next year you may be sitting in one F1 car racing against all the big guns, how's that?

    You have to let us know so we can all book our tickets early, go over and see you race.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yeah, anything is possible, Norbert. and cos it'll be my birthday, they'll have to let me win too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. NICE WEATHER FOR RACING !!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WJ, even if you win next year, it will not be on your birthday as 2011 Formula 1 Singtel Singapore Grand Prix will not be held on 26th September 2011. :)

    ReplyDelete