Friday, May 29, 2009

Amazing Thailand

It's rather late now but I just have to put in this entry, even though I may not elaborate till tomorrow. But it's just so incredibly unexpected and coincidental that I have to share it now.

I'm currently in Bangkok on a business trip for a few days, and who should post a comment on the blog at around 7pm this evening ... but our long-lost friend Peter Tiong Khun Tzan !
xxxx
He left his email (peter@magnusprojects.com), which I quickly responded to, and learning that he was actually right there in Bangkok, we arranged to meet up for drinks after dinner. Now is that a coincidence or what?
xxxx
So here's the photo that has been, as they say, thirty years in the making ...




Yes, this is the chap in Form 5 Arts 2 who was the talented artist (I still remember he could draw the most remarkable ladies in all kinds of fashion. Real fantasy lasses with long, long legs!) . xxxx
It is clear that his artistic and design skills have served him very well. Peter now runs his own architectural practice (check out http://www.magnusprojects.com/) which services some impressive global establishments. He also calls Bangkok home, and has based himself here for over 20 years.

I will add to this posting later, but suffice to say it was great to meet up and talk about old times.



Further additions

I checked my archives and found a photo from around the time Peter and I last met.

Place: a Chinese restaurant in London

Year: 1979 or 1980

Fashion sense: For me - from absolutely none to bohemian (check out those Elvis Costello frames!); for Peter - cool and chic (what do you expect from a designer?)

Hope you had a good laugh ...

xxxxxxxxx

20 comments:

  1. Another "lost sheep" has been found !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, Peter Tiong !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter's designs look great!

    The flock is growing - another feather in the cap for our web jaga.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peter,
    You are exactly what I remember as. May be a bit darker, but boy, not much changes.
    I am so glad to be able to communicate with you now! I remember you are left handed, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter, so glad to see you again! Hope we can meet up one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing coincidence for two ex-Kuching boys to meet up in Bangkok after 30 years! Really pleased to see you looking so well, Peter, and ever youthful - almost the same as you were back in those good old days in Kuching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Peter, so happy that WJ has found you. You look well. I remember you best with your blue mini bike! You still got it? 'see' you at JY's virtual party tomorrow hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Peter
    Welcome "aboard", another one of the old boys that we slowly reeled in. Well done to JY again, "for he scour the world to look and search for his flocks, spreading the good words and messages regarding his blogs"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello...Peter..glad to see you after all these years

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Peter !

    Glad you are "connected " to the guys after 30 years! Thanks to James Yong endless efforts once again . Congratulation on your success in Thailand . Frankly can't quite recognize you perhaps due to my old man fading memory ! Ha ! Another "Lost sheep " found . Another amazing feat of WJ .Will try to contact you when I am down next as I have a couple of principals based there .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sinos said...

    Goodness gracious me !!.Is that really you Peter Tiong? An architect? Man, you are doing very well, my friend.. Nice to be able to "connect"you again...

    I am in the neighbourhood ( Cambodia) and one fine day, I hope to hop over & hope to meet up with you. Or the other way round foryou,maybe?

    Merci & bon weekend !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done WJ. Another son of St Joseph found!

    Hi Peter,
    Glad to see you in pic.Remember, you with the various type of spectacles worn in class.Cherrio.

    Hi everybody reading this.My best wishes and warmest regards.Do keep in touch.Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Peter, can u get onto Windows Live Messenger (or MSN) and join us for our chats sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That 1979/80 is precious !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Correction:
    That 1979/80 photo is precious !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. the 79/80 pic is good for a 'then and now' of both WJ and Peter. And we are awaiting a new edition of 'then and now'.
    Leo

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Chinese reataurant could be in Bayswater WJ

    ReplyDelete
  18. i'm a late comer to this great blogsite. i can't believe how Peter Tiong K T has changed!! I won't recognise him if I meet him on the streets.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Why is Mr Peter Tiong not joining the Grand Reunion ??????????

    ReplyDelete
  20. Maybe he's busy with his work lo, that's why he can't join the Grand Reunion lo. Cannot take leave lo. I'm taking 5 days leave from 21st to 28th, just to be with everyone, day and night.

    ReplyDelete